SA Bursaries has compiled a comprehensive list of bursaries available for Engineering students. The Engineering bursaries have been arranged in ascending order, according to their closing date.
Source: Photo by ThisIsEngineering from Pexels
1. Komatsu will be awarding bursaries for studies within STEM fields, which includes Engineering (as well as Science, Technology and Mathematics), for the 2nd semester of the 2021 academic year. Students under 30 years old from the Northern Cape province may apply for this bursary.
Applications close on 30 June 2021: https://www.zabursaries.co.za/science-bursaries-south-africa/komatsu-bursary/
2. WK Construction is inviting BSc Civil Engineering students, currently studying at tertiary level, to apply for funding for the 2022 academic year. Applications for this all-inclusive bursary close on 30 June 2021: http://www.zabursaries.co.za/engineering-bursaries-south-africa/wk-construction-bursary/
3. WBHO awards bursaries for studies within the Engineering and Built Environment sector each year. Students pursuing Civil Engineering (BTech, BEng, BSc or National Diploma) may apply for funding for the 2022 academic year. Applications must be received on or before 30 June 2021: http://www.zabursaries.co.za/construction-and-built-environment-bursaries-south-africa/wbho-bursary/
4. The Paper Manufacturers Association of South Africa (Pamsa) bursary will cover two years of study, towards a Master of Engineering (MEng) in Chemical Engineering, at one of these approved Universities: University of Pretoria, University of Stellenbosch, University of the North West or University of the Witwatersrand.
Graduate and final year students are invited to submit their applications up until 30 June 2021: http://www.zabursaries.co.za/mba-postgraduate/paper-manufacturers-association-of-south-africa-pamsa-bursary/
5. merSETA bursaries are available to unemployed students who wish to work within the manufacturing, engineering and related service sector, or to students who are employed by a company which is registered with the merSETA.
Bursary funding is available for Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Metallurgy & Materials Engineering, Industrial Engineering and Mechanical Engineering (including Mechatronics).
Applications close on 30 June 2021 (for first semester) and 30 September 2021 (for second semester): http://www.zabursaries.co.za/engineering-bursaries-south-africa/merseta-bursary/
6. Jones & Wagener is inviting Civil Engineering students (current or future) to apply for bursary funding for the 2022 academic year. Bursary recipients will be required to work at the company after graduation and partake in vacation work during the holidays.
Applications are accepted until 31 July 2021: http://www.zabursaries.co.za/engineering-bursaries-south-africa/jones-wagener-bursary/
7. SPEBS, a bursary programme administered by the South African Institution of Civil Engineering (SAICE), is available to financially needy and academically deserving students for studies in Civil Engineering (at Degree or National Diploma level).
Applications for this partial bursary close on 30 July 2021: http://www.zabursaries.co.za/engineering-bursaries-south-africa/saice-spebs-bursary/
8. Every year, NMISA invites Undergraduate or Postgraduate students to apply for bursary funding. NMISA bursaries are available for studies in Electrical Engineering, Electronic Engineering and Mechanical Engineering.
Those interested in applying can submit their applications up until 31 July 2021: http://www.zabursaries.co.za/engineering-bursaries-south-africa/nmisa-bursary/
9. The Gallagher Foundation bursary is available to Engineering students entering their 1st year of study in 2022, at the University of Cape Town. Applications close on 30 August 2021: http://www.zabursaries.co.za/general-bursaries-south-africa/gallagher-foundation-scholarship/
10. The Masakh’iSizwe Bursary Programme, founded by the Western Cape Department of Transport and Public Works, is available to students pursuing studies within the Transport, Engineering and Built Environment sector (specifically Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Transportation Engineering).
Students should only apply if they are studying (or intend on studying) at the University of Cape Town, University of Stellenbosch or Cape Peninsula University of Technology. Applications for this government bursary close on 31 August 2021: http://www.zabursaries.co.za/government-bursaries-south-africa/masakhisizwe-bursary/
11. The South African Road Federation (SARF) invites students within the road transport sector to apply for bursary funding, for the 2022 academic year.
Students pursuing studies towards a Road Engineering (Traffic Engineering, Bridge Engineering and Pavement Engineering) qualification, may apply on or before 31 August 2021: http://www.zabursaries.co.za/general-bursaries-south-africa/south-african-road-federation-bursary/
12. Every year, Haw & Inglis awards bursaries for studies towards Civil Engineering and Mechanical Engineering qualifications. Candidates are selected based on two major criteria: academic merit and requirements of various institutions.
Engineering students are invited to submit their application for the 2022 academic year, before the 1 September 2021 deadline: http://www.zabursaries.co.za/construction-and-built-environment-bursaries-south-africa/haw-inglis-bursary/
13. Citrus Academy is inviting Industrial Engineering and Mechanical Engineering students, studying towards a qualifications relating to citrus production or research, to apply for their bursary.
Bursaries will be awarded for the 2nd year of study, or higher, for the 2022 academic year.
Applications close on 15 September 2021: http://www.zabursaries.co.za/science-bursaries-south-africa/citrus-academy-bursary/
14. Sappi is inviting the youth, between 18 and 25 years of age, to apply for bursaries in various Engineering fields for the 2022 academic year. Matriculants and undergraduates may apply for funding to cover BEng or BSc qualifications in: Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Mechatronics Engineering.
Applications close on 30 September 2021: http://www.zabursaries.co.za/engineering-bursaries-south-africa/sappi-bursary/
15. Sanral is accepting bursary applications from Engineering undergraduate and postgraduate students, for the 2022 academic year. Students must be not be older than 35 years and should apply on or before the closing date of 30 September 2021: http://www.zabursaries.co.za/engineering-bursaries-south-africa/sanral-bursary/
16. The Ninety One bursary is available to matriculants, who aim to study towards any Engineering qualification. Candidates must be entering their 1st year of study in 2022 and must be under the age of 22 years old.
Those interested in applying can submit their applications up until 30 September 2021: http://www.zabursaries.co.za/general-bursaries-south-africa/ninety-one-bursary/
17. The Department of Water and Sanitation (DWS) is inviting undergraduate and postgraduate students, to apply for bursary funding for the 2022 academic year. Candidates must undertake studies at selected public universities in South Africa, and should be studying in one of the following fields: Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering.
Applications for this government bursary close on 31 October 2021: http://www.zabursaries.co.za/government-bursaries-south-africa/department-of-water-sanitation-bursary/
18. PSG is inviting final year and postgraduate students with strong academic records, to apply for bursary funding. The bursary will cover tuition fees, books, as well as provide mentorship, coaching, the opportunity to partake in the company’s graduate programme and gain working experience.
Students pursuing Electrical Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Computer Engineering, Industrial Engineering and Chemical Engineering studies, may apply on or before 31 December 2021: http://www.zabursaries.co.za/mba-postgraduate/psg-bursary/
Please note: all applications must be received on or before the due date – unfortunately late submissions are not accepted.