The 2019/2020 AfriSam-SAIA Sustainable Design Award is now open for entries. All practitioners, including architects, engineers, project managers and designers of sustainable solutions, are invited to enter.
Image source: Gallo/Getty
SAIA president Dr Luyanda Mpahlwa says adjudicators are looking forward to entries for the annual awards that reflect forward-thinking designs that have a better future for all in mind. “We believe sustainability should be the baseline in all design, and social inclusion should be a defining feature of South African architecture. We need to respond to the needs of our world by pursuing new methods of building that are economical and environmentally conscious. We need to find ways to improve material efficiency, design and the re-use of buildings. It is also our duty to revisit ancient best practices and knowledge systems that will set us on a new trajectory towards sustainability,” he adds.
The AfriSam-SAIA Sustainable Design Award programme supports a learning journey towards regenerative design with an emphasis on sustainability, innovation, transformation and multidisciplinary efforts. Practising professional architect and academic Dr Philippa Tumubweinee believes leaders in the built environment have an important role to play in creating new spaces that have the power to elevate, dignify and provide a better quality of life for everyone. “Sustainability is not just about buildings; it is about changing and improving lives.”
Entries for the AfriSam-SAIA Sustainable Design award will be accepted in four categories:
1. Sustainable Design
2. Research in Sustainability
3. Sustainable Products and Technology
4. Sustainable Social Programmes
“In the architecture categories, we encourage practitioners in Africa to look into their own history and heritage to produce architecture that is reflective of the regions in which buildings exist. Sustainability is not only about technology, but also about an integrated design approach – of relating to one’s self, other people and the environment,” adds Tumubweinee.
The adjudicator panel for the 2019/2020 award programme includes:
- Dr Luyanda Mpahlwa, SAIA president, professional architect and convener
- Somers Govender, practising professional architect
- Dr Gillian Adendorff, practising senior professional architect
- Dr Philippa Tumubweinee, practising professional architect, academic and expert in sustainable architecture
- Sphephelo Mhlongo, previously awarded recipient and professional architect at the Department of Public Works
- Nkosinathi Manzana, professional engineer and chair of the Green Building Council South Africa Board
Those looking to enter, are urged to familiarise themselves with the criteria and category specifications before entering. Submissions are free, and more than one project may be entered, however separate entries are required.
All 2019/2020 entries must be submitted online at www.sustainabledesign.co.za before 31 March 2020.